German Beer Styles & Recipes
When you think of beer do you think of Germany? Where else in the world is there a beer culture so ingrained that they have a month long festival to celebrate it. I’m still note sure why it’s called Octoberfest (16 September–3 October 2017) when it ends at the beginning of October. But none-the-less it’s a festival of the thing we love the most and a good excuse to drink and try more beer.
Interesting German Beer Facts
Did you know that they have a beer purity law (the 1516 Reinheitsgebot) which decrees that only hops, barley, yeast and water can be used to brew beer. This law is over 500 years old and will be around for another 500 years I’m sure.
- German Monks used to call beer “liquid bread”
- It is the birthplace of Lager and we’re not just talking mass produced swill but some really tasty refreshing ones
- Frederick the Great a really great important dude loved beer so much he banned coffee
- Germans on average drink approximately 320 beers per annum
- You can drink it on the street and don’t need to cover it in a paper bag
- Germans love to recycle and turning in your empty bottle means you will get money back to buy more beer
- Over 1500 breweries in Germany alone, compared to 501 breweries in Australia (we are catching up quickly)
German Home Brew Recipes
In honour of this festival of liquid bread we decided to create a range of Small Batch German Beer Recipes that you can make at home. Prost! (Cheers)
|Saaz German Pils||German Pilsner (Pils)||All Grain||4.4||42.4|
|Half Wheat Mother||Weizen/Weissbier||Partial Mash||6.1||13.4|
|Honey I Doppled the Bock||Doppelbock||All Grain||10.9||24.1|
|Altbier||Northern German Altbier||Extract||6.0||16.1|
|Black Bocks||Traditional Bock||All Grain||6.5||28.2|
|Flanders Altbier||Altbier||All Grain||5.3||42.0|
|Honey Sweetie Wheat||Bavarian Weizen (Weissbier)||Extract||5.0||35.4|
Our commitment is to help you brew better beer, with only the essential premium equipment you need. Get one of our home brew starter kits and mini keg kits and start your journey with us. Just because you are brewing small doesn’t mean you cant dream big. Tag us @smallbatchbrew so we can tell the world about another up and coming Master Brewer.